Blog #9


    My experience as a distant learner this semester has probably been the best it has ever been. I usually do not like taking online courses but I have felt pretty motivated this semester even though I had two classes online. In the past I have disliked the lack of contact between teachers, but I think my professor has done a great job at communicating with us. I enjoy reading her announcements and feedback. When I am a teacher, something I can do to improve the experience of distance learners is to allow more engagement from me to my students to occur to keep them motivated. 

    Open Educational Resources (OER) are learning resources that are mainly offered online that allow anyone to utilize and can be used in multiple ways. An online resource that I know about is Khan Academy. It is a website online that can be utilized by anyone and it allows students to use it as a study or prep resource. It includes varies topics and subjects K-12 that any student can access to have extra help in anything they may be struggling in. Many students also use this program to Study for the ACT and SAT because of the similar format. 

    KhanAcademy.org



    While working on the PowerPoint assignment, I used many skills I had used in the past, but I have forgotten how to use them. I would use the skills in elementary and middle school, but once I hit high school I stopped using PowerPoint often and forgot many of the things I knew. I really like how easy PowerPoint is to utilize but one thing I dislike is the lack of animation and transition features there are.  If PowerPoint included more options I think it could improve presentations to allow them to look better. 


  • Do you turn your webcam on in online courses? Why or why not? 

I only turn on my camera when it is required because then I worry about how I look. Like if I look weird taking notes or just in general. 

  • How do you perceive others who turn/don't turn their webcams on? 

I feel like I don't really care if others turn their camera on when its not required but when it is and they don't I feel like that is rude. 

  • What are some of the things that you do before you turn your webcam on? 

I make sure my hair is not looking too bad and that I do not have anything on my face. 

  • Do you expect your instructor to turn the webcam on? Why or why not?

Yes because I feel like if I am just seeing a powerpoint and listening to the professor it does not intrigue me at all

  • How do you perceive the course instructor who does not turn the webcam on in an online course? Explain.
I feel like I notice of course and maybe don't really mind until I realize I am not engaged or interested in the lesson. 















Comments