Journal #2

        As I have progressed in my school years, I have become more familiar with features on Microsoft Word. I have used it to mostly to write essays or complete school work that required typing. Even though I know how to use a couple features, I know there are many other features on the software that I have never used or have forgotten how to use. Personally, Microsoft Word has always been my go to software. I feel like I have always been able to utilize the software for many assignments. 


The standard that is most meaningful to me is Designer. This standard can be explained as a way to teach all students by accommodating lessons to allow the student to understand and learn in a way that they are familiar and comfortable with. This standard is important for K-12 educators because it will allow for student learning to grow by teaching students in ways that are most effective for them. Using this standard could also allow for student engagement and progression to increase.



I agree with the label “digital natives” for today’s youth. What it means to be a digital native is to be a "native speaker" of the internet and related technologies. Mark Prensky created the term "digital native" to refer to people who were born into a time where technology was already created. I feel like I have noticed a difference between me, a digital native, and my teachers, a digital immigrant. While I was in high school, we began using technology more in my classes and would have to guide my teachers to show them how to do certain things on the internet. On Microsoft Word, some students had more knowledge on the program than our teachers and would teach them how to do certain things, like effects.  Some differences I anticipate between my future students and I, in terms of how to use technology, is having less knowledge on apps that were created closer to that time in the future. 

Comments

  1. Hi Lupita, You made a great point about the designer standard in that educators can adapt teaching materials and learning environments to meet students' various learning needs. Even though the term "digital natives" has some validity in that it distinguishes the younger generation who were born during a period when digital technology was already prevalent, we should be wary of assuming that all of our young students will be equipped with basic technology skills and knowledge simply because they are young. Because of their socioeconomic status and culture, some people may not have had enough access to advanced technology, while others may dislike using technology for learning. Thank you for the great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment